4e Régiment Étranger, 4e RE. The 4th Foreign Regiment is a training unit of the French Foreign Legion. It provides a four-month-long basic training for enlisted volunteers. The 4e RE also provides military occupational speciality instructions for currently serving legionnaires, and courses and instructions for future cadres of the Legion.
A training unit of the Legion has been based at Castelnaudary, southern France since it moved from Corsica in 1976. In 1980, it was designated as the 4th Foreign Regiment and has been stationed at Quartier Capitaine Danjou, Castelnaudary since 1986.
The current 4th Foreign Regiment draws its lineage, attributes and traditions from a notable unit, the 4th Foreign Infantry Regiment (4e Régiment étranger d’infanterie, 4e REI), created in Morocco in 1920 and disbanded in Algeria in 1964.
History of the 4th Foreign Regiment
In June 1962, the Foreign Legion Training Group (Groupement d’Instruction de la Légion Étrangère, GILE) left Algeria, a country of North Africa administered 1848-1962 as an integral part of France, to be based at Bonifacio and Corte on the island of Corsica. In 1976, GILE left Corsica and moved to continental France, to be stationed at Castelnaudary, a town located in southern France. In late November 1976, GILE was based at Quartier Lapasset (also Caserne Lapasset), Castelnaudary.
Nine months later, on September 1, 1977, GILE became the Foreign Legion Training Regiment (RILE). Three years later, on June 1, 1980, RILE was retitled and became the 4th Foreign Regiment (4e RE). From April 1984 to May 1986, a new modern headquarters of 4e RE, Quartier Capitaine Danjou, were built in the outskirts of Castelnaudary. In July 1986, the new barracks received its first enlisted volunteers to pass their basic instruction there.
See images and more information:
Foreign Legion’s training units: From Corsica to Castelnaudary.
Current structure of the 4th Foreign Regiment
The regiment is devided (in 2017) into 6 companies, consisting of approximately 1,600 men. It includes nearly 540 permanent personnel, about 600 enlisted volunteers and roughly 460 future cadres and military occupational specialists. The regiment serves as a training unit of the French Foreign Legion constituted to train its own men. Since late 2016, a reserve company comprising some 70 non-Legion reservists has been also assigned to the regiment.
- HQ and Service Company (Compagnie de Commandement et des Services, CCS)
- 1st Enlisted Volunteer Company (1re Compagnie d’Engagés Volontaires, 1re CEV)
- 2nd Enlisted Volunteer Company (2e Compagnie d’Engagés Volontaires, 2e CEV)
- 3rd Enlisted Volunteer Company (3e Compagnie d’Engagés Volontaires, 3e CEV)
- Team Leader Training Company (Compagnie d’Instruction des Cadres, CIC)
- Specialist Training Company (Compagnie d’Instruction des Spécialistes, CIS)
- CIS operates, besides other things, Driver Training Center (Centre d’Instruction et
d’Entraînement à la Conduite, CIEC), a driving school for legionnaires
- 6th Reserve Company (6e Compagnie de Réserve, 6e CIE)
Each Enlisted Volunteer Company (CEV) operates one Ferme, a former farm to house a platoon of enlisted volunteers to pass first four weeks of their basic training there. The 4e RE also manages a mountain outpost based at Formiguères in the Pyrenees. During their basic training, enlisted volunteers pass a week of mountain instruction there.
4th Foreign Regiment’s official website: 4e Régiment Étranger
4th Foreign Regiment’s current news
See the news and updates from the 4th Foreign Regiment (4e RE) posted on our website:
4th Foreign Regiment’s latest news
4th Foreign Regiment’s regimental song
The regimental song of the 4th Foreign Regiment (4e RE):
C’est le “4”
Location of the 4th Foreign Regiment
<-- Back to French Foreign Legion Units