On 8 September 2014, the Foreign Legion’s new commander, Major General Jean Maurin visited the 4th Foreign Regiment (4e RE). The 4e RE serves as a training unit of the Legion, based in Castelnaudary, southern France. Major General Jean Maurin spent 2 days in the 4e RE. Among other things, he visited the farms, where young volunteers start their basic training.
Units of the French Foreign Legion forgotten by time. Independent, self-governing autonomous motorized infantry companies serving in Algeria, established at the turn of the year 1954/1955 in response to rising rebel activity in French North Africa. The companies were equipped with Jeeps, Dodges WC 6×6, M3 Scout Cars (22e CPLE in 1955) and with AM-M8 Greyhound armored cars. They were often supported or even transported by helicopters and co-operated in several military operations with Foreign Legion paratroopers from 1er REP. In February 1956, the companies were grouped into a motorized group: GPLEA.
On July 18, a Change of Command ceremony took place at Camp Raffalli, the headquarters of the Foreign Legion’s 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment (2e REP), based near Calvi, Corsica. During the ceremony, the colonel Jean-Michel Meunier became the new regiment commander of 2e REP, replacing the colonel Benoît Desmeulles.