2e Régiment Étranger de Parachutistes, 2e REP. The only airborne regiment of the French Foreign Legion. Created in Sétif, Algeria (as 2e BEP) in October 1948, the 2e REP has been stationed at Camp Raffalli near the town of Calvi, Corsica since it moved from Bou-Sfer, Algeria, in 1967. During its history, the regiment integrated men of another two Legion airborne units: the 3e REP (in 1955) and 1er REP (in 1961).
The 2e REP is well-known around the world for its participation in the Battle of Kolwezi in May 1978.
History of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment
See the history of 2e REP of 1948-2013 in well-ordered data, including almost 50 pictures from all regiment decades – the First Indochina War, Algerian War and other military operations: History of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment.
Current structure of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment
The regiment is devided (in 2017) into 8 companies. It consists of around 1350 officers and legionnaires. Some non-Legion NCOs (even females) serve with the unit too. A reserve company comprising about 90 non-Legion reservists is also assigned to the 2e REP.
The 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment is one of the five combat units of the 11th Parachute Brigade (11e BP). It is a motorized infantry regiment designated as an emergency response unit trained and equipped to respond quickly to emergency situations such as in Loyada in 1976, Kolwezi in 1978 or Ivory Coast in 2004.
The 2e REP includes 5 combat companies trained in different military specialities – urban warfare (1re CIE), mountain warfare (2e CIE), amphibious warfare (3e CIE), explosives use (4e CIE), desert warfare (5e CIE). The sixth combat company (CA, ex-CEA) operates a portable medium-range anti-tank missile system platoon (MMP, which replaced a previous system, MILAN), a machine gun support platoon (SAM, created in 2015), a sniper platoon (STE) and a parachute commando platoon (GCP). The recce platoon (SRR) of CEA was disbanded in 2015.
- HQ & Logistics Company (Compagnie de Commandement et de Logistique, CCL)
- Administration Support Company (Compagnie d’Administration et de Soutien, CAS)
- 1st Company (1re Compagnie, 1re CIE)
- 2nd Company (2e Compagnie, 2e CIE)
- 3rd Company (3e Compagnie, 3e CIE)
- 4th Company (4e Compagnie , 4e CIE)
- 5th Company (5e Compagnie , 5e CIE)
- Military Support Company (Compagnie d’Appui, CA)
- Portable Medium-range Missile Platoon (Missile Moyenne Portée, MMP)
- Machine Gun Support Platoon (Section d’Appui Mitrailleuse, SAM)
- Snipers Platoon (Section de Tireurs d’Elite, STE)
- Parachute Commando Group (Groupement des Commandos Parachutistes, GCP)
- Regimental Maintenance Company (Compagnie de Maintenance Régimentaire, CMR)
- 6th Reserve Company (6e Compagnie de Réserve, 6e CIE)
2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment’s official website: 2e Régiment Étranger de Parachutistes
2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment’s current news
See the news and updates from the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment (2e REP) posted on our website:
2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment’s latest news
2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment’s regimental song
The regimental song of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment (2e REP):
La Legion marche vers le front
Location of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment
<-- Back to French Foreign Legion Units