On December 7, 2012 almost 400 legionnaires celebrated an anniversary of the 1st Foreign Regiment (1er RE). The oldest regiment of the French Foreign Legion has already been stationed in Aubagne (a town in southern France, near Marseille) for 50 years. It moved there from Sidi-bel-Abbès, Algeria in 1962. See the video of the celebration.
The regiment received its flag in Algeria in April 1841. Today, 1er RE is the main center of selection of the new recruits and is also in charge of special institutions of the Legion: the Legion’s official magazine Képi Blanc, the Legion’s Athletics Team (ATHLEG), the Legion’s military band (Musique de la Légion étrangère) etc.