1er Régiment Étranger, 1er RE. The oldest regiment and the headquarters of French Foreign Legion. Today, besides other things, the regiment operates the preselection and selection center of the Foreign Legion. Candidats can enlist themselves in the Legion there. They will pass all the needed tests and interviews required for becoming a legionnaire. The 1st Foreign Regiment has been based at Quartier Viénot in Aubagne, southern France, since it moved from Sidi-bel-Abbès, Algeria, in 1962.
The regiment was created in Algeria in April 1841. It served in the Crimean War (1853-56), in the Second Italian War of Independence (1859), in the French intervention in Mexico (1863-67) – Battle of Camerone in 1863, in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71), in the Sino–French War (1884-85), Morocco (1892-1907-1925), in Madagascar (1898-1905), in the First World War, Second World War and in the Algerian War (1954-62).
Current structure of the 1st Foreign Regiment
The regiment is devided (in 2015) into 3 companies and consists of 530 personnel.
The 1st Foreign Regiment is a non-combat unit managing administration of the Foreign Legion. It also operates the initial selection process for entry into the Legion.
- Command & Regimental Services Company (Compagnie de Commandement et des Services Régimentaires, CCSR)
- Foreign Legion Personnel Administrative Company (Compagnie Administrative du Personnel de la Légion Étrangère, CAPLE)
- Foreign Legion Services Company (Compagnie des Services de la Légion Étrangère, CSLE)
- Foreign Legion Music Band (Musique de la Légion étrangère, MLE)
- Foreign Legion Convalescent Leave & Recreation Malmousque Center (Centre des Convalescents et des Permissionnaires de la Légion Étrangère de la Malmousque, CCPLEM), based in Marseille
- Foreign Legion Reception & Accommodation Center (Centre d’Hébergement et d’Accueil de la Légion Étrangère, CHALE), based at La Ciotat
- Foreign Legion Disabled Veterans Institution (Institution des Invalides de la Légion Étrangère, IILE), based at Puyloubier
- Foreign Legion Museum (Musée de la Légion Étrangère) + Documents Center (Centre de Documentation) + SAMLE (Foreign Legion Museum Friends Society)
- Képi Blanc Magazine (Le Magazine Képi blanc)
- Home of Legionnaire (La Maison du Légionnaire), based in Auriol
- ATHLEG (L’ATHLEG), a squad of long-distance runners (5-6 personnel) established to publicize the Legion during sports events
– CSLE Company conducts administration of the Foreign Legion Command (COMLE) and operates several significant institutions of the Legion:
1st Foreign Regiment’s official website: 1er Régiment Étranger
1st Foreign Regiment’s current news
See the news and updates from the 1st Foreign Regiment (1er RE) posted on our website:
1st Foreign Regiment’s latest news
1st Foreign Regiment’s regimental song
The regimental song of the 1st Foreign Regiment (1er RE):
Nous sommes tous des volontaires
Location of the 1st Foreign Regiment
How to use Street view?
Wait for uploading the picture (less than 5 sec).
1. Just click anywhere on the picture.
2. To rotate your view use the LEFT and RIGHT arrows on your keyboard.
3. To walk down the street use the UP and DOWN arrows on your keyboard.
<<–– Back to French Foreign Legion Units