1st Foreign Regiment
1er Régiment Étranger, 1er RE. The oldest regiment and headquarters of the French Foreign Legion. There is the preselection and selection center of the Foreign Legion in 1er RE too. You can be enlisted there and you will pass all the tests and interviews required to become a legionnaire.
The 1st Foreign Regiment has been stationed at Quartier Viénot in Aubagne, France, since it moved from Sidi-bel-Abbès, Algeria, in 1962.
The regiment was created in Algeria in April 1841. It served in the Crimean War (1853-56), in the Second Italian War of Independence (1859), in the French intervention in Mexico (1863-67) – Battle of Camerone in 1863, in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71), in the Sino–French War (1884-85), Morocco (1892-1907-1925), in Madagascar (1898-1905), in the First World War, Second World War and in the Algerian War (1954-62).
Today, the regiment provides an administrative work. It is the main selection center of new recruits; they pass all needed tests there during the selection process. The regiment is also in charge of special institutions of the Legion: the Legion’s official magazine Képi Blanc, the Legion’s Athletics Team (ATHLEG), the Music of the Foreign Legion (Musique de la Légion étrangère), the Legion’s home for disabled persons and veterans based in Puyloubier (IILE) and the Legion’s leave houses (CHALE in Ciotat and CPLEM in Malmousque, Marseille).
The regiment is organized into 3 companies:
- Compagnie de Commandement et des Services Régimentaire (CCSR) – Regimental Command and Services Company
- Compagnie des Services de la Légion Étrangère (CSLE) – Foreign Legion Services Company
- Compagnie Administrative du Personnel de la Légion Étrangère (CAPLE) – Foreign Legion Personnel Administration Company
1er RE also includes:
- Institution des Invalides de la Légion Étrangère à Puyloubier (IILE) – Foreign Legion Invalid Institution at Puyloubier
- Centre d’Hébergement et d’Accueil de la Légion Étrangère à la Ciotat (CHALE) – Foreign Legion Accommodation & Welcome Center at Ciotat
- Centre des Permissionnaires de la Légion Étrangère de la Malmousque (CPLEM) – Foreign Legion Leave Center at Malmousque, Marseille
1st Foreign Regiment’s official website: 1er Régiment Étranger
1st Foreign Regiment’ regimental song
The regimental song of the 1st Foreign Regiment (1er RE):
Nous sommes tous des volontaires
1st Foreign Regiment position
How to use Street view?
Wait for uploading the picture (less than 5 sec).
1. Just click anywhere on the picture.
2. To rotate your view use the LEFT and RIGHT arrows on your keyboard.
3. To walk down the street use the UP and DOWN arrows on your keyboard.
<<–– Back to French Foreign Legion Units