2e Régiment Étranger de Génie, 2e REG. The youngest regiment of the French Foreign Legion, nicknamed as the “Mountain regiment”. It has been stationed at Quartier Maréchal Koenig, located near Saint Christol, southern France, on the former site of the French strategic nuclear missiles, since 1999.
The regiment was created on July 1, 1999, as a combat engineering unit. It is assigned to the 27th Mountain Infantry Brigade. The 2e REG draws its lineage from Legion engineering units serving during the First Indochina War (1946-54).
The 2e REG served in ex-Yugoslavia, Ivory Coast, Martinique, Afghanistan and Mali.
Current structure of the 2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment
The regiment is devided (in 2017) into 7 companies and consists of approximately 980 men, including 80 dettached personnel from non-Legion units. A reserve company comprising some 70 non-Legion reservists is also assigned to the regiment.
The 2e REG carries out a variety of construction and demolition tasks under combat conditions in support of combat units (demining, opening passages, etc..) and fulfil these tasks in mountain terrain under extreme climatic conditions. The 2e REG legionnaires are also trained in urban warfare.
The regiment includes two commando units: Mountain Commando Group (Groupement de Commando de Montagne, GCM) and Engineer Combat Divers (PCG, formerly DINOPS). Two GCM groups and a PCG team are assigned to the Surveillance & Direct Action Platoon (SRIO) of the 2e REG. Within the regiment also operates a Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team composed of EOD specialists, who are trained to deal with disarmament and disposal of high explosive munitions.
- HQ & Logistics Company (Compagnie de Commandement et de Logistique, CCL)
- Administration Support Company (Compagnie d’Administration et de Soutien, CAS)
- 1st Company (1re Compagnie, 1re CIE)
- 2nd Company (2e Compagnie, 2e CIE)
- 3rd Company (3e Compagnie, 3e CIE)
- 4th Company (4e Compagnie, 4e CIE)
- Military Support Company (Compagnie d’Appui, CA)
- Deployment Support Platoon (Section d’Aide au Déploiement, SAD)
- Field Organization – Overcoming Platoon (Section d’Organisation du Terrain – Franchissement, SOTF)
- Mountain Engagement Support Platoon (Section d’Aide à l’Engagement Montagne, SAEM)
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (Élément Opérationnel de Déminage-Dépollution, EOD)
- Surveillance & Direct Action Platoon (Section de Renseignement et Intervention Offensive, SRIO)
- 2x Mountain Commando Group (Groupe de Commandos de Montagne, GCM)
- Engineer Combat Divers Team (Plongeurs de Combat du Génie, PCG)
- 5th Reserve Company (5e Compagnie de Réserve, 5e CIE)
2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment’s official website: 2e Régiment Étranger de Génie
2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment’s current news
See the news and updates from the 2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment (2e REG) posted on our website:
2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment’s latest news
2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment’s regimental song
The regimental song of the 2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment (2e REG):
Location of the 2nd Foreign Engineer Regiment
<-- Back to French Foreign Legion Units